Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 247/365 (April 22, 2009)





I had originally planned on getting up early and heading to rush 9 to 5, but I had been up so late that I decided there was no way I could rush it. So I set about my usual daily activities. I should also note that when I woke up Emma was curled so cutely next to me.


 The best part of the early part of the day was watching Fred and Tucker. They played so well with each other and it was just so cute to watch them chasing each other, and licking each other, and tucker trying to bite Fred, and Fred gently telling him who was boss and that biting was a bad idea!


Eventually I toyed with the idea of rushing the night show of 9 to 5… I flipped back and forth if I should, or waiting until Sasha was back from CA since she hadn’t seen it yet either. Finally I decided that I wanted to see it, even if that meant going by myself, and that I should do it when I was in the mood. I got ready real fast and went on down. I have no idea what the rush crowd is like so in true “Tamra form” I got myself there a good two hours before the tickets were going to be on sale. I was of course the first one there and as I got ready to take my spot to wait a woman at the window asked what the best seats they had available for next Monday were and when the BO guy told her like 8th row center I was pretty upset since he had told me the last time I was there so not the same thing! I then decided I should just see what they had for best available since I still have the code printout sheet. He told me 4th row center! I was like “um buys it please!” It cost more than rush seats but at least it wasn’t partial view and it was super close!

 

I then saw how much time I had and decided I was going home before the show, and since I had so much time I was going to be able to bake Neil some brownies for his birthday. (Which was a few days ago.) I was so pleased in the grocery store because I found the most perfect yummy large avocado. So I picked that up and some tomatoes.

 

I then headed home and made the brownies right away and while they baked I did the dishes, ate my tomatoes and avocado, and made a card. I really do quite enjoy arts and crafts… which reminds me my cousins birthday is soon I should make him a card.

 

Anywho then I headed back downtown to see the show. They let us into the theatre wicked late, and I hate waiting! My seat was perfect… I wasn’t front row but because the seats are slightly raised my row was sort of the perfect spot so I never had to look up, I could just look straight ahead. If I had been in the front row (which I had wanted) I wouldn’t have been able to see al the way to the back of the stage.

 

The curtain is really all kinds of awesome and innovative. It is a bunch of phone cords dangling, with random phone headsets strewn about, and then it has really pretty colorful lights on it. The show also started way past usual start time, and finally as the lights went dim “the voice of god” came on and I was like what emergency understudy is going on? But the voice was all like “please welcome Dolly Parton,” and well she came out from the side and walked to the front. She was so tiny and my first thought was Hannah Montana (I should be ashamed I know!) but anywho she just wanted to give us a little welcome, and told us that today was administrative aide day (formerly secretary’s day), then she said they would never let her on the stage and she had to leave so the show could get started… every was all excited!

 

I had never seen the movie and only knew the bare minimum basics of the plot line so I had no idea what to expect. The show was pretty fun and entertaining and some great costumes and choreography. I didn’t feel like one person in the cast was a weak link, which I usually have at least one or two in large casts. I thought everyone from lead to ensemble did well. If it weren’t for Dolly coming out and speaking beforehand I would not have realized just how dead on Megan Hilty nailed Dolly’s accent. There were moments when I kept thinking Dolly is speaking now. It was nice to see Neil do some crazy dancing, and he was so spot on! I just wish he ya know had even a teeny tiny speaking and singing part!  However it is my best guess that he is not miked and that is why he doesn’t get to say boo even when he is the cop and listening to the detective.

 

So while I was waiting to be let in, whilst waiting in crowded “lobby” who should plow into me?  One of my “favorite” people ever, and by favorite I mean someone I despise very much and the right people know whom I am talking about. My only satisfaction in seeing her is knowing that she is probably as repulsed to see me, as I am to see her vomit much? (though I never did anything to deserve her hatred.)

 

Intermission was quite eventful! Instead of staying in my seat I decided to go walk around. As I was leaving the doors I heard a man very angrily say “I didn’t hit her!” and a woman was all “he did hit me, he should be removed from the theater” and I looked over and saw them with security… I wanted to know what was going on but realized it was best to just keep moving! As I did so I saw more security coming towards! Then as I went into the hotel area I ran into Luther (and Jared), then I kept walking and playing with my phone and ran into Gary who is I guess my new stalker… I guess if I am going to have a stalker its nice to not have him be someone I don’t like! (as an aside for anyone who knows who I am talking about I recognize he is not actually a stalker and I am just saying that because of something else). Then I kept going and who did I run into? Nick! It turns out he rushed the show… so then we, and his friend, chatted the rest of the time.

 

It was wicked crowded at stage door but I had a good location next to some random really nice people. I took that picture with Neil myself but it came out pretty badly so someone else took a better one, but this one amuses me because I look like I am 10!  I miss him over at ABz, but I am just glad he is being put to good use here and that I liked the show so it won’t be painful to see again… like les miz. Um Megan is entirely sweet… I took a picture with her with me and it came out bad and she was like we can take another and I was like no its ok I don’t want to be that annoying person but she was like no its ok, so a stranger took it for me. Stephanie was also helpful in helping the stranger take a good picture of us by removing the camera strap from the lens. I am also happy Maia is in the show since she was always (excluding Gwen who is in a league all her own) my favorite soloist in Rent.

 

I got home and finished the leftover brownies here since it turns out my roomie didn’t realize I left them for her, and I wrote this long thing, while watching TV, and made plans with Judith for tomorrow…. Which I hope actually happens! This means I need to be heading to bed so I can get up and get ready… sadness I am not sleepy!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I am dying to see it. If you decide to rush it in May let me know, and I'll go with.

Tamra said...

um awesome! it will probably be just a little bit because i need to see some otehrs before i repeat... but i will let you know for sure! yay

mqd said...

yeah i am putting my entire life off til may, so it'll be awhile before i am out of hibernation...so whenever is good!

p.s. i. must. meet. dog. soon.

Tamra said...

Sounds awesome to me!

And on the dog front... Let me know sometime if you are around midtown area if it's during a day and maybe I van come meet you! Or you can always come over anytime but advance warning justso I can know of he will be here :)