Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 206/365 (March 12, 2009)


So much happened on this crazy day.

It was an early day that brought me to do laundry because I hate to come back from trips with a messy laundry basket (and sink but I forgot to do the dishes). I felt like Krysta going to do it because I was wearing flip-flops even though it was slightly chilly and I was wearing her ASU hoodie. I needed to wash the Kentucky one and I realized I couldn’t bring that one to Texas because it says wild cats on it and well I am going to see high school musical which of course has wildcats as their mascot!

I used laundry time to go to CVS and pick up travel sized items and then had an unusually pleasant conversation with my other on the phone that last for over an hour! When I got back I put away my clothes and begun to bake. I made some M&M cookies because I was going to see Matthew is his show later that night and I always promised him that I would bring him cookies if he was in a show! In the midst of baking I began to pack and must say I was very proud of myself because I have never packed so efficiently in my life! Everything fit well and was easy to carry!

Eventually I made dinner and took a shower to get ready for my outing into the outside world. I was also excited to find out Krysta would be joining me since this was also the only performance of his she would be able to catch and I got to see her newly cut hair with bangs that looked great!

Our train moved us along to W 4th street and record time and when we emerged we found a place that had such yummy gelato! Then we went to the performance space and waited. We lucked out and had Matthew’s mom, and brothers at the performance too! Spoilers ahead if you haven’t seen his show, A Strange Serenade, which is part of The Short Attention Span Festival of musicals.

The first show was comprised of two guys and a girl. As a musical it sucked… there was no book, it was just songs and these songs didn’t really string together a story they were just individual songs. As far as talent the songs were pretty good, and some down right funny and the people were great singers (most of the time). There was a song about sticking a knife in someone’s heart (and other violent things) that I found downright amusing… and there was a song that had a Patti LuPone freak out moment in it… you know Patti that may have been the most unprofessional thing but it has given us so many wonderful comedy moments now because of it!

The next show was torture. Krysta even put it up there on the list of the disaster that was Nero! All I know is they needed to stop singing about twine and the guy needed to know his lines better. This was part of the SHORT ATTENTION SPAN Theater it should have ended long before it did.

I was so relieved after Matthew’s show was over because it was actually good. I was excited to see Matthew in a show and he (and the others) rocked it. It was about a guy and a girl meeting in a coffee shop on a first date and the girl has this barbershop quartet that follows her around and adds musical moments to her life, and one of them says some funny things to the guy. The guy turns about to be a little crazy and carries a stuffed animal frog around with him everywhere and speaks for him in a frog voice and his name was, I believe, Finneas The Frog. The show was super cute and pretty short, but it had the elements of a good story and was done well. I really am just so proud of Matthew for jumping into this show and making it seem like he had been with it since they begun rehearsals… He is going to go far I am sure!

The final show… oh my goodness! So many things to say about it. As a musical not so much there was a very loose story line and towards the end of it I did feel like they were just sort of beating a dead bush and no book… however it was still hilarious and the people that were in it did such a terrific job! They were all rats and dressed that way (including some seriously long tails). When the show was over we couldn’t stop singing “rats in the city” and “these titties ain’t going to sell themselves, but if they could baby that would be all sorts of good.” The songs were just funny and outrageous and catchy! One was even a rat singing about watching his family being stepped on and him having an eyeball of one of his sons on him… good times! I wouldn’t mind seeing it again sometimes you just need songs that are about nothing with a catchy tune to have a good time!

****END SPOILERS****

After the show our superstar was excited to get cookies, and then we walked to the subway… Krysta failed at stealing a Rooms poster because it was up there pretty good, but fear not we will try again! Then Krysta and I went to karaoke at TOL. She discovered a new drink thanks to Karolina… an amaretto sour, and I sang two songs. I usually only sing songs if I know them well enough thanks to the problems the karaoke tracks have but I really like the song Pour Some Sugar On Me… even if I only know the chorus… yup basically never singing that again train wreck would be putting it lightly but I sure had lots of fun! Later I felt the need to redeem myself so I went with one of my better songs Oops I Did It Again,…, and was highly amused before the music started when Chris yelled from the audience Britney! They know me so well there!

We also had a conversation with someone about Pogs and what kind of slammers we had… yay for real dead scorpion slammers with a purple background, and random sparkly ones that actually worked. Then we headed home.

I did some last minute packing items like chargers and I don’t remember what else but I got everything done and had a little bit of a nap before having to wake up!

AND at some point while packing I remembered I had a hoodie I could wear to Texas and it was green so I chose to bring that since I will likely be wearing it at the parade I am going to and I would like to have some green seen since it is a St. Patrick’s Day parade and my “everyone loves an Irish girl” shirt will be covered by it.

No comments: